The City of New London in partnership with Southeastern Connecticut Cultural Coalition is excited to announce the formation of a Cultural District.
A Cultural District
Is a specific area of a city or town identified by the municipality that has a number of cultural facilities, activities and/or assets – both for profit and nonprofit. The ability for a municipality to establish a Cultural District was enacted by Legislative Statute in 2019.
- a walkable, compact area that is easy for visitors to recognize.
- a center of cultural activities – artistic and economic.
- a place in your city/town where community members congregate, and visitors may enjoy those places that make a community special.
Why a Cultural District
- Increase coordination of efforts, resources, and assets
- Market arts and culture attractions to visitors
- Promote and encourage artists, entrepreneurs and creative businesses
- Promote tourism and increase visitation
- Strengthen distinctive character of communities
- Create a plan to drive economic growth and expand tax base
- Support Sustainable CT certification https://sustainablect.org/actions-certifications/
- Highlight culture and history of your community
The city will be hosting a series of three virtual community conversations on zoom on January 21st, February 4th, and February 18th, at 4pm. Attend, participate and learn more about the Cultural District. We want to hear from you. If you have any questions please email Sybil Tetteh at Stetteh@newlondonct.org and to attend any of the meetings please visit www.CultureSECT.org or email Wendy Bury at W.Bury@CultureSECT.org
Meeting ID: 815 4334 5164
Passcode: 415810 One tap mobile
+13126266799,,81543345164#,,,,*415810# US (Chicago)
+19292056099,,81543345164#,,,,*415810# US (New York)